Air bags, seatbelts, and windshields have a common purpose: enhance your safety. A vehicle’s condition is known by how these parts are maintained by the owners. Out of these three, the windshield is the most important because of its additional features and benefits. It is apparent in how it keeps up the structural integrity of the vehicle when dealing with the heat often seen during the summer in Florence.
In this article, we will see how worthy are the windshield repair and other auto glass replacement services. The components of a windshield might give some clue to how it is repaired. Two sheets of glass are laminated using a layer of polyvinyl butyrate (PVB) to make a piece. A chip or a crack is the most common problem and it tends to spread over a period. An early repair can save a lot of time and money. The manufacturers’ specification of installing a windshield is nearly impossible to duplicate as well. Therefore, in many cases, replacement is not advisable.
Florence Windshield Replacement – Cost Factors
People have died because their windshield was improperly replaced. Others have been crippled for life. Maybe someone you know, or knew, was a victim.
It's tragic, senseless, and utterly stupid that people have died and been seriously injured due to the negligence, ignorance, and laziness of untrained or uncaring glass technicians. And there's no shortage of those. This article will attempt to teach you how to protect yourself from unqualified repairmen.
Windshields and the other glass in your vehicle are required by federal law to help protect you in several ways. For example, if you should be involved in a roll-over accident, your roof must be partially supported by the glass, to keep it from crushing in on you and your passengers.
If you're involved in a head-on crash, the windshield must stay in place to keep you inside the car and to keep flying debris out. If the windshield flies out, so too may you or your kids. Improperly installed windshields can easily be dislodged during a crash.
Did you know that your passenger airbag is designed to explode out of its container and bounce off the glass at 300 miles per hour? If the windshield is not properly sealed, it can be blown right out of your car, resulting in catastrophic injury.
Most of us don't spend much time thinking about these kinds of things in our life, things that are not readily obvious to us but might completely change our family's future. We depend on experts to guide us to quality and value.
Here are 5 TIPS that could help you survive a disastrous auto accident. Next time you get a new windshield installed in your car, look for these things:
* Be sure the technician is trained and certified. Anybody can get into this business and it often attracts the kind of people who are looking for a quick buck at your expense. If a tech takes the time to get quality education and training, he's probably also interested in building and maintaining a good reputation through high quality work.
* Observe the process and be sure the tech doesn't scratch the metal framework of your car when he cuts out the old glass. If he does, then he must prime that area to prevent rust. Rust can break an otherwise good seal. When the tech prepares your glass for installation, he must clean it and prime it, while wearing rubber gloves to prevent oil from his hands getting on the glass.
* After installation is complete, in almost all cases you must not move your car for a specified period of time. Each urethane manufacturer provides guidelines that depend on time, temperature, and humidity factors. If you drive off in your car before the "safe drive-away time" is up, it's likely that you will compromise the seal and experience air or water leaks in the future. Of course, a faulty seal also risks your safety.
* The quality of your windshield is important. Even though regulated by federal standards, some glass is better than other glass. OEM, or Original Equipment Manufacturer windshields are the same ones that are installed at the factory into new cars. These are also available in the aftermarket through distributors. OEM glass is made to exacting standards and can be trusted. Some glass is imported and can be excellent or marginal, depending on the manufacturer. If OEM glass is available for your vehicle, that should be your choice.
* By law, you have the right to choose your own shop when it comes to insurance claims. There is a nefarious practice in the insurance billing industry called "steering". When you call the number on your insurance card, you are usually connected to a middle-man billing and network company that works for the insurance company, not the insurance company itself. Some of these networks have their own glass shops and they will illegally try to steer you to their own shop. One of these networks was investigated by the 20/20 TV news show a few years ago and was found to be in violation of many of the safety principles described above. On the same show, they cited statistics for how many people were killed or gravely injured because of careless windshield installation. Demand your rights when it comes to picking your own shop. Do your homework and you and your family will be safer for it.
As a final note concerning insurance companies, read some startling information about how you are being tracked by them at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/06/earlyshow/contributors/raymartin/main1779882.shtml.
Windshield Replacement Safety
One of the biggest businesses out there is auto glass repair because cracked windshields are extremely common. The windshield on a vehicle is designed to keep passengers and drivers from any debris on the road that could fly up and cause harm. However, when you're traveling around quickly, even just a small rock on the road can end up chipping or fracturing your windshield. The question is, should you repair it or do you need to have the whole thing replaced?
The chip or crack has surfaced and now you have to make a decision to contact an auto glass repair shop to repair the chip or crack or to have the whole windshield replaced. A small chip or crack can continue to get larger over time. This can be due to several circumstances, but the main one is that driving causes stress that will cause the damage to get worse. This is magnified with bumpier roads being driven on. The weather can also cause chips and cracks to enlarge when certain conditions exist. Sadly, the car air conditioning can add to the issue also.
When you first discover a crack or chip is the time to have an auto glass repair shop make the repair. If accomplished quickly, this might make the difference between repair and replacement. Repair versus replacement costs vary widely, but are usually found to be significantly more expensive when replacement is involved. Basically, your insurance company will allow you to have the windshield replaced with a deductible taking place on your part. This would not apply if you don't have collision included in your policy in most states.
Auto glass repair shops can repair smaller chips and cracks with ease. You can also buy auto glass repair products from your local auto parts store or go on the internet to locate these repair kits. This applies to the individual that is comfortable with doing it yourself. If you are not certain the damage can be safely repaired, then err on the side of caution, and let the professionals take care of it.
If repair is out of the equation, just know that the auto glass repair industry is alive and competitive. Shopping around to secure the best prices and service should provide gratifying results. You should realize that repair is not an option if the crack is longer than 3-4 inches or goes from edge to edge and if the chip has penetrated all sections of the piece of glass.
The idea of the story here is that if the damage is not large and does not penetrate the glass fully and if you act fast, you can often times repair the damage instead of having to replace the whole piece. When it comes to auto glass repair, there is a lot more than meets the eye, so if you are not confident, get a pro involved.
Windshield Replacement Safety