Air bags, seatbelts, and windshields have a common purpose: enhance your safety. A vehicle’s condition is known by how these parts are maintained by the owners. Out of these three, the windshield is the most important because of its additional features and benefits. It is apparent in how it keeps up the structural integrity of the vehicle when dealing with the heat often seen during the summer in Winslow.
In this article, we will see how worthy are the windshield repair and other auto glass replacement services. The components of a windshield might give some clue to how it is repaired. Two sheets of glass are laminated using a layer of polyvinyl butyrate (PVB) to make a piece. A chip or a crack is the most common problem and it tends to spread over a period. An early repair can save a lot of time and money. The manufacturers’ specification of installing a windshield is nearly impossible to duplicate as well. Therefore, in many cases, replacement is not advisable.
Winslow Windshield Replacement – Cost Factors
Procrastination of a windshield crack repair is a losing game. There is an 80% chance the small crack in your windshield will continue to crack. Further cracking will lead to expensive replacement of the windshield.
Timely repair is the most important for several reasons. The sooner the repair takes place, the chances of further cracking diminishes. The longer a repair is held out, the higher chance the chip or small crack will become unrepairable. That will eventually cause you to replace the windshield. You can avoid this with a quality repair. It's very hard to get the windshield frame as clean and well secured as it was from the factory with a replacement windshield. Therefore, we want to keep the (O.E.M.) Original Equipment Manufactured windshield that was initially installed and sealed at the factory in place as long as possible.
Furthermore, time is of the essence when considering a repair because dirt, road dust, bird droppings and moisture can collect inside the windshield from the opening of the crack making it harder to repair.
We can remove moisture but there is a chance that the water removal could cause the windshield to crack further or crack towards the edge forcing replacement of the windshield. We can avoid most of these problems with timely repair of the cracked or chipped windshield.
Okay, so we have removed the moisture, but there is no way to remove the dirt and other particles that the moisture may have pulled into the crack. Dirt that has entered a cracked windshield will be visible after the completed repair. Water in the cracked windshield needs to be removed before the repair takes place, otherwise the bond will become weak and is more likely to fail which could ultimately lead to replacement which is exactly what we want to avoid. If a timely repair is not an option, covering the rock chip or crack with clear tape can help to keep contaminates out. Try to cover the chip or crack completely but don't disrupt your vision when driving as this could be dangerous.
Time is your enemy with a cracked windshield. Okay we get it, what else can you tell us about the cracked windshield repair?
One thing I have learned after years of windshield chip and crack repair is that every break is different and some fill easily while others take finesse and manipulation to remove all the air and assure that the resin has filled the crack or cracks before ultra violet curing of the resin takes place.
So what does that mean to us?
When a repair company tells you the repair only takes five to ten minutes, be cautious. As mentioned earlier every break is different and certain cracks need special treatment. Some cracks do fill quickly but some don't. So how can you do a good repair if you're rushed? You can't. Some repairs will take about an hour and others will only take 20 minutes or so. When a windshield crack repair professional is rushed, he or she will drill a hole in every break to make the crack fill faster inevitably creating a bigger hole to fill. This will never look as well as it should compared to a hole that is not drilled.
The windshield crack repair professional will try to fill the crack without drilling a hole. It can take a little longer, but the better it looks, the happier you will be. Right?
90% or more of small windshield chips or cracks can be filled without drilling which improves the finished visual outcome and appearance of the repair. This leads us back to the fact that every windshield crack is different and some will take more time than others to repair correctly.
What are the different types of equipment used to repair cracked windshields?
Good question. Windshield crack repair equipment varies widely among companies. High quality resins, injections and air removal methods vary from company to company and can affect the finished repair. Quality injection units and high quality resins are as important as the technicians performing the crack repairs. The quality resins create stronger bonds and resist yellowing better than inexpensive resins. Quality injection equipment will remove more air and the injection capabilities provide a higher quality crack repair.
No matter how good the equipment is, the skill and patience of the windshield crack repair professional is of the utmost importance. Quality equipment used in the hands of a patient and skilled windshield repair professional will produce quality repairs that anyone would be happy with. Quality repairs return the safety and integrity to the cracked windshield.
Windshield Repair or Replacement, a Crucial Decision
People have died because their windshield was improperly replaced. Others have been crippled for life. Maybe someone you know, or knew, was a victim.
It's tragic, senseless, and utterly stupid that people have died and been seriously injured due to the negligence, ignorance, and laziness of untrained or uncaring glass technicians. And there's no shortage of those. This article will attempt to teach you how to protect yourself from unqualified repairmen.
Windshields and the other glass in your vehicle are required by federal law to help protect you in several ways. For example, if you should be involved in a roll-over accident, your roof must be partially supported by the glass, to keep it from crushing in on you and your passengers.
If you're involved in a head-on crash, the windshield must stay in place to keep you inside the car and to keep flying debris out. If the windshield flies out, so too may you or your kids. Improperly installed windshields can easily be dislodged during a crash.
Did you know that your passenger airbag is designed to explode out of its container and bounce off the glass at 300 miles per hour? If the windshield is not properly sealed, it can be blown right out of your car, resulting in catastrophic injury.
Most of us don't spend much time thinking about these kinds of things in our life, things that are not readily obvious to us but might completely change our family's future. We depend on experts to guide us to quality and value.
Here are 5 TIPS that could help you survive a disastrous auto accident. Next time you get a new windshield installed in your car, look for these things:
* Be sure the technician is trained and certified. Anybody can get into this business and it often attracts the kind of people who are looking for a quick buck at your expense. If a tech takes the time to get quality education and training, he's probably also interested in building and maintaining a good reputation through high quality work.
* Observe the process and be sure the tech doesn't scratch the metal framework of your car when he cuts out the old glass. If he does, then he must prime that area to prevent rust. Rust can break an otherwise good seal. When the tech prepares your glass for installation, he must clean it and prime it, while wearing rubber gloves to prevent oil from his hands getting on the glass.
* After installation is complete, in almost all cases you must not move your car for a specified period of time. Each urethane manufacturer provides guidelines that depend on time, temperature, and humidity factors. If you drive off in your car before the "safe drive-away time" is up, it's likely that you will compromise the seal and experience air or water leaks in the future. Of course, a faulty seal also risks your safety.
* The quality of your windshield is important. Even though regulated by federal standards, some glass is better than other glass. OEM, or Original Equipment Manufacturer windshields are the same ones that are installed at the factory into new cars. These are also available in the aftermarket through distributors. OEM glass is made to exacting standards and can be trusted. Some glass is imported and can be excellent or marginal, depending on the manufacturer. If OEM glass is available for your vehicle, that should be your choice.
* By law, you have the right to choose your own shop when it comes to insurance claims. There is a nefarious practice in the insurance billing industry called "steering". When you call the number on your insurance card, you are usually connected to a middle-man billing and network company that works for the insurance company, not the insurance company itself. Some of these networks have their own glass shops and they will illegally try to steer you to their own shop. One of these networks was investigated by the 20/20 TV news show a few years ago and was found to be in violation of many of the safety principles described above. On the same show, they cited statistics for how many people were killed or gravely injured because of careless windshield installation. Demand your rights when it comes to picking your own shop. Do your homework and you and your family will be safer for it.
As a final note concerning insurance companies, read some startling information about how you are being tracked by them at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/06/earlyshow/contributors/raymartin/main1779882.shtml.
The Benefits of Mobile Windshield Repair Services