Air bags, seatbelts, and windshields have a common purpose: enhance your safety. A vehicle’s condition is known by how these parts are maintained by the owners. Out of these three, the windshield is the most important because of its additional features and benefits. It is apparent in how it keeps up the structural integrity of the vehicle when dealing with the heat often seen during the summer in Catalina.
In this article, we will see how worthy are the windshield repair and other auto glass replacement services. The components of a windshield might give some clue to how it is repaired. Two sheets of glass are laminated using a layer of polyvinyl butyrate (PVB) to make a piece. A chip or a crack is the most common problem and it tends to spread over a period. An early repair can save a lot of time and money. The manufacturers’ specification of installing a windshield is nearly impossible to duplicate as well. Therefore, in many cases, replacement is not advisable.
Catalina Windshield Replacement – Cost Factors
People have died because their windshield was improperly replaced. Others have been crippled for life. Maybe someone you know, or knew, was a victim.
It's tragic, senseless, and utterly stupid that people have died and been seriously injured due to the negligence, ignorance, and laziness of untrained or uncaring glass technicians. And there's no shortage of those. This article will attempt to teach you how to protect yourself from unqualified repairmen.
Windshields and the other glass in your vehicle are required by federal law to help protect you in several ways. For example, if you should be involved in a roll-over accident, your roof must be partially supported by the glass, to keep it from crushing in on you and your passengers.
If you're involved in a head-on crash, the windshield must stay in place to keep you inside the car and to keep flying debris out. If the windshield flies out, so too may you or your kids. Improperly installed windshields can easily be dislodged during a crash.
Did you know that your passenger airbag is designed to explode out of its container and bounce off the glass at 300 miles per hour? If the windshield is not properly sealed, it can be blown right out of your car, resulting in catastrophic injury.
Most of us don't spend much time thinking about these kinds of things in our life, things that are not readily obvious to us but might completely change our family's future. We depend on experts to guide us to quality and value.
Here are 5 TIPS that could help you survive a disastrous auto accident. Next time you get a new windshield installed in your car, look for these things:
* Be sure the technician is trained and certified. Anybody can get into this business and it often attracts the kind of people who are looking for a quick buck at your expense. If a tech takes the time to get quality education and training, he's probably also interested in building and maintaining a good reputation through high quality work.
* Observe the process and be sure the tech doesn't scratch the metal framework of your car when he cuts out the old glass. If he does, then he must prime that area to prevent rust. Rust can break an otherwise good seal. When the tech prepares your glass for installation, he must clean it and prime it, while wearing rubber gloves to prevent oil from his hands getting on the glass.
* After installation is complete, in almost all cases you must not move your car for a specified period of time. Each urethane manufacturer provides guidelines that depend on time, temperature, and humidity factors. If you drive off in your car before the "safe drive-away time" is up, it's likely that you will compromise the seal and experience air or water leaks in the future. Of course, a faulty seal also risks your safety.
* The quality of your windshield is important. Even though regulated by federal standards, some glass is better than other glass. OEM, or Original Equipment Manufacturer windshields are the same ones that are installed at the factory into new cars. These are also available in the aftermarket through distributors. OEM glass is made to exacting standards and can be trusted. Some glass is imported and can be excellent or marginal, depending on the manufacturer. If OEM glass is available for your vehicle, that should be your choice.
* By law, you have the right to choose your own shop when it comes to insurance claims. There is a nefarious practice in the insurance billing industry called "steering". When you call the number on your insurance card, you are usually connected to a middle-man billing and network company that works for the insurance company, not the insurance company itself. Some of these networks have their own glass shops and they will illegally try to steer you to their own shop. One of these networks was investigated by the 20/20 TV news show a few years ago and was found to be in violation of many of the safety principles described above. On the same show, they cited statistics for how many people were killed or gravely injured because of careless windshield installation. Demand your rights when it comes to picking your own shop. Do your homework and you and your family will be safer for it.
As a final note concerning insurance companies, read some startling information about how you are being tracked by them at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/06/earlyshow/contributors/raymartin/main1779882.shtml.
The Benefits of Mobile Windshield Repair Services
Auto glass replacement, or even repair, is not a topic that a lot of car owners will talk about with any enthusiasm. Most of the times they'd like to brush it under the carpet, pretending that there isn't anything that needs to be fixed. And when they grudgingly do come around to admitting that the windshield needs to be replaced, they will usually cut corners by choosing the lowest-price option in the market.
Sadly enough, not many car owners are aware of the serious repercussions that this decision could have, if they're ever involved in an accident. In fact, poor quality windshield installed by untrained experts could cost you your life or put your near and dear ones in danger. If there is a crash, the windshield could pop out, causing the roof of the car to cave in and crushing the people sitting inside the car. Also, if your car has airbags and they deploy after the collision, the force exerted by them could blow out a low quality windshield and throw the passengers out on the road, reducing their chances of survival.
For these reasons, it's extremely important that you not only use original manufacturer's glass but also entrust the task of replacing the windshield to a certified and reliable car glass replacement service. As any automobile expert will tell you, the windshield is a layer that keeps you protected inside the car and other elements outside it. Wherever you might want to cut corners, this isn't it. You have too much at stake here.
Just to save a little money, do not go to mechanics who set up holes in the wall near your house or round the corner from your workplace. They do a shoddy job of 'slamming' a new windshield into your car and have little respect for any process or procedure. Some of them don't even bother wearing gloves. Why is that a big deal? Well, the grease and sweat from their hands prevent the adhesive from bonding properly with the glass. Adding to their incompetence is the fact that, very often, they fail to use proper adhesives and bonding agents. This leaves the car prone to leaks and rusting and makes it unsuitable for safe driving.
Even if it does take a little effort, get auto glass replacement done from experts who know their business and use original equipment glass. They will follow the correct auto glass replacement process. You will notice that the moulding is straight and there are no annoying smudges of adhesive inside the car or debris / dirt on the seat. Moreover, being experts in replacing and repairing auto glass, they will not let you drive away immediately. They understand the importance of letting the car sit for at least an hour after the windshield has been replaced and will advice against you using it.
If you have cracks or chips in your windshield, it's important to get it looked at immediately. Research shows that driving around with a faulty windshield can impact your vision and slow down your response in emergencies. Why take such a huge risk. Seek out an expert in auto glass replacement and drive around the city safely and confidently.
The Benefits of Mobile Windshield Repair Services