Air bags, seatbelts, and windshields have a common purpose: enhance your safety. A vehicle’s condition is known by how these parts are maintained by the owners. Out of these three, the windshield is the most important because of its additional features and benefits. It is apparent in how it keeps up the structural integrity of the vehicle when dealing with the heat often seen during the summer in Casas Adobes.
In this article, we will see how worthy are the windshield repair and other auto glass replacement services. The components of a windshield might give some clue to how it is repaired. Two sheets of glass are laminated using a layer of polyvinyl butyrate (PVB) to make a piece. A chip or a crack is the most common problem and it tends to spread over a period. An early repair can save a lot of time and money. The manufacturers’ specification of installing a windshield is nearly impossible to duplicate as well. Therefore, in many cases, replacement is not advisable.
Casas Adobes Windshield Replacement – Cost Factors
People have died because their windshield was improperly replaced. Others have been crippled for life. Maybe someone you know, or knew, was a victim.
It's tragic, senseless, and utterly stupid that people have died and been seriously injured due to the negligence, ignorance, and laziness of untrained or uncaring glass technicians. And there's no shortage of those. This article will attempt to teach you how to protect yourself from unqualified repairmen.
Windshields and the other glass in your vehicle are required by federal law to help protect you in several ways. For example, if you should be involved in a roll-over accident, your roof must be partially supported by the glass, to keep it from crushing in on you and your passengers.
If you're involved in a head-on crash, the windshield must stay in place to keep you inside the car and to keep flying debris out. If the windshield flies out, so too may you or your kids. Improperly installed windshields can easily be dislodged during a crash.
Did you know that your passenger airbag is designed to explode out of its container and bounce off the glass at 300 miles per hour? If the windshield is not properly sealed, it can be blown right out of your car, resulting in catastrophic injury.
Most of us don't spend much time thinking about these kinds of things in our life, things that are not readily obvious to us but might completely change our family's future. We depend on experts to guide us to quality and value.
Here are 5 TIPS that could help you survive a disastrous auto accident. Next time you get a new windshield installed in your car, look for these things:
* Be sure the technician is trained and certified. Anybody can get into this business and it often attracts the kind of people who are looking for a quick buck at your expense. If a tech takes the time to get quality education and training, he's probably also interested in building and maintaining a good reputation through high quality work.
* Observe the process and be sure the tech doesn't scratch the metal framework of your car when he cuts out the old glass. If he does, then he must prime that area to prevent rust. Rust can break an otherwise good seal. When the tech prepares your glass for installation, he must clean it and prime it, while wearing rubber gloves to prevent oil from his hands getting on the glass.
* After installation is complete, in almost all cases you must not move your car for a specified period of time. Each urethane manufacturer provides guidelines that depend on time, temperature, and humidity factors. If you drive off in your car before the "safe drive-away time" is up, it's likely that you will compromise the seal and experience air or water leaks in the future. Of course, a faulty seal also risks your safety.
* The quality of your windshield is important. Even though regulated by federal standards, some glass is better than other glass. OEM, or Original Equipment Manufacturer windshields are the same ones that are installed at the factory into new cars. These are also available in the aftermarket through distributors. OEM glass is made to exacting standards and can be trusted. Some glass is imported and can be excellent or marginal, depending on the manufacturer. If OEM glass is available for your vehicle, that should be your choice.
* By law, you have the right to choose your own shop when it comes to insurance claims. There is a nefarious practice in the insurance billing industry called "steering". When you call the number on your insurance card, you are usually connected to a middle-man billing and network company that works for the insurance company, not the insurance company itself. Some of these networks have their own glass shops and they will illegally try to steer you to their own shop. One of these networks was investigated by the 20/20 TV news show a few years ago and was found to be in violation of many of the safety principles described above. On the same show, they cited statistics for how many people were killed or gravely injured because of careless windshield installation. Demand your rights when it comes to picking your own shop. Do your homework and you and your family will be safer for it.
As a final note concerning insurance companies, read some startling information about how you are being tracked by them at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/06/earlyshow/contributors/raymartin/main1779882.shtml.
Smack Then Crack - Windshield Repair or Windshield Replacement?
Many of us are constantly pressed for time and money. Every inconvenience or delay seems to cause us more problems than the mounting pressures we already experience, and nothing causes us as much stress as those issues related to our cars. We rely on our cars for our livelihood, recreation, and emergencies, so even the smallest repair can be stressful and disrupt everything.
Mobile windshield repair services have major benefits primarily because our time is just as important as our car and there are very few services that can be performed by professionals that also provide us with convenience.
With our time being a major concern in many of the decisions we make any service that works with us without infringing on our time is appreciated. Mobile windshield repair services provide us with that. They come to your car. Repairs can be made quickly without requiring a service appointment at a garage. Parked at your home, the parking lot at work or even in the parking lot while you are shopping in the mall, your windshield can be serviced by a mobile team equipped with the necessary tools for the job.
Many cracks or chips in a car windshield if left untreated can grow impairing a clear view and ultimately resulting in a necessary complete windshield replacement. A mobile repair service can address cracks and chips while they are fresh and relatively small delaying the need for a new windshield and sometimes preventing the cracks and chips from worsening. In more extreme cases where the driver's vision is obscured by cracks, chips, and breaks there are mobile units that can replace an entire windshield. This is ideal as a safe alternative to recklessly attempting to drive to a garage with a broken windshield. It also saves you the unnecessary expense of having it towed.
Mobile windshield repair units are staffed by the same qualified professionals that would service your vehicle if brought to the garage. This means that even though your car may be receiving windshield repairs or replacements while parked in your driveway or parking lot the work is being performed by those most qualified to provide the service.
With windshield repairs being performed by professionals, the work is covered by most auto insurance. Most auto insurances only require that repairs be performed by qualified professionals in order for them to be covered, and though many insurance companies will recommend a particular mechanic or repair station many states, such as North Carolina guarantee that the customer can choose their own service provider. If the provider you choose to service your car for a windshield repair has a mobile repair unit then you can take advantage of that service assuming there is no stipulation that the service be performed in a garage.
Auto Glass Repair - Should You Repair Or Replace Your Windshield?