Air bags, seatbelts, and windshields have a common purpose: enhance your safety. A vehicle’s condition is known by how these parts are maintained by the owners. Out of these three, the windshield is the most important because of its additional features and benefits. It is apparent in how it keeps up the structural integrity of the vehicle when dealing with the heat often seen during the summer in Chino Valley.
In this article, we will see how worthy are the windshield repair and other auto glass replacement services. The components of a windshield might give some clue to how it is repaired. Two sheets of glass are laminated using a layer of polyvinyl butyrate (PVB) to make a piece. A chip or a crack is the most common problem and it tends to spread over a period. An early repair can save a lot of time and money. The manufacturers’ specification of installing a windshield is nearly impossible to duplicate as well. Therefore, in many cases, replacement is not advisable.
Chino Valley Windshield Replacement – Cost Factors
Windshield replacement comes as a necessity most often because of debris from driving behind someone with a number of loose objects in the back of the truck or accidents. Sometimes, even weather conditions like hail can be culprit that makes this necessary. However, you can make this activity as pleasant as possible by discovering what options are available to you.
For instance, your insurance coverage is the first place to start. You need to find out what your insurance covers regarding windshield replacement such as whether or not coming to your home is an option. If so, is this option free of cost. Also, you should be able to choose your own glass company if you do not like their choice. You can take their recommendation if you like but it should not be a requirement to replace the windshield free of charge.
Choose a glass company that does not compromise the quality o the glass they use for your replacement. Some of the glass companies will use a cheaper glass because it saves them money. This is not in your best interest. You want to make sure that you do not have to revisit the company anytime soon. Any company that has integrity and pride in workmanship will offer a warranty for the work done in a realistic timeframe.
You should not have to wait an unreasonable amount of time to have your car returned with the job done. Most places have a 24-hour turnaround and it does not create a problem for them or you. It is important to note that once the replacement has been done, you still may have wait an additional amount of time to make sure the window sets and you do not undo the work that was just done. Wind pressure can certainly make a difference if the required amount of time is not taken. Warmer weather allows the window to set quicker than cold weather, so the amount of time you have to wait will vary with the extreme hot and cold weather.
Customer service associates should be able to answer general questions regarding the process of the windshield replacement and type of glass used. If there is more than one type of glass, you should be given an understanding of what the features and benefits are with the various choices. Make sure the glass company is certified by the National Glass Association is a standard of measure you can use.
Now, for some persons needing auto windshield replacement, this may be over-the-top. It is just not that serious for them. However, the point is that if you take the time to make sure you are spending money wisely, the activity becomes a little more pleasant.
Last, but certainly not least is the option to replace the glass your self. However, it is important to note that this option is viable only if the glass has not spidered. Small cracks can be repaired without a full glass replacement. You can obtain the kits from auto repair stores and discuss any questions with the customer service associates available to answer your questions.
Should the crack in the windshield be longer than two inches, your best move would to have a glass company do the work professionally. Spidered windshields raise the risk significantly of having the windshield completely shatter. This is certainly not a great outcome while you are driving.
The important thing here is that you have rights and options when it comes to replacing the windshield of your car for whatever reason. There are standards and the experience really does not have to be a nightmare.
Windshield Repair and Replacement: How to Reduce Cost Without Lowering Quality
People have died because their windshield was improperly replaced. Others have been crippled for life. Maybe someone you know, or knew, was a victim.
It's tragic, senseless, and utterly stupid that people have died and been seriously injured due to the negligence, ignorance, and laziness of untrained or uncaring glass technicians. And there's no shortage of those. This article will attempt to teach you how to protect yourself from unqualified repairmen.
Windshields and the other glass in your vehicle are required by federal law to help protect you in several ways. For example, if you should be involved in a roll-over accident, your roof must be partially supported by the glass, to keep it from crushing in on you and your passengers.
If you're involved in a head-on crash, the windshield must stay in place to keep you inside the car and to keep flying debris out. If the windshield flies out, so too may you or your kids. Improperly installed windshields can easily be dislodged during a crash.
Did you know that your passenger airbag is designed to explode out of its container and bounce off the glass at 300 miles per hour? If the windshield is not properly sealed, it can be blown right out of your car, resulting in catastrophic injury.
Most of us don't spend much time thinking about these kinds of things in our life, things that are not readily obvious to us but might completely change our family's future. We depend on experts to guide us to quality and value.
Here are 5 TIPS that could help you survive a disastrous auto accident. Next time you get a new windshield installed in your car, look for these things:
* Be sure the technician is trained and certified. Anybody can get into this business and it often attracts the kind of people who are looking for a quick buck at your expense. If a tech takes the time to get quality education and training, he's probably also interested in building and maintaining a good reputation through high quality work.
* Observe the process and be sure the tech doesn't scratch the metal framework of your car when he cuts out the old glass. If he does, then he must prime that area to prevent rust. Rust can break an otherwise good seal. When the tech prepares your glass for installation, he must clean it and prime it, while wearing rubber gloves to prevent oil from his hands getting on the glass.
* After installation is complete, in almost all cases you must not move your car for a specified period of time. Each urethane manufacturer provides guidelines that depend on time, temperature, and humidity factors. If you drive off in your car before the "safe drive-away time" is up, it's likely that you will compromise the seal and experience air or water leaks in the future. Of course, a faulty seal also risks your safety.
* The quality of your windshield is important. Even though regulated by federal standards, some glass is better than other glass. OEM, or Original Equipment Manufacturer windshields are the same ones that are installed at the factory into new cars. These are also available in the aftermarket through distributors. OEM glass is made to exacting standards and can be trusted. Some glass is imported and can be excellent or marginal, depending on the manufacturer. If OEM glass is available for your vehicle, that should be your choice.
* By law, you have the right to choose your own shop when it comes to insurance claims. There is a nefarious practice in the insurance billing industry called "steering". When you call the number on your insurance card, you are usually connected to a middle-man billing and network company that works for the insurance company, not the insurance company itself. Some of these networks have their own glass shops and they will illegally try to steer you to their own shop. One of these networks was investigated by the 20/20 TV news show a few years ago and was found to be in violation of many of the safety principles described above. On the same show, they cited statistics for how many people were killed or gravely injured because of careless windshield installation. Demand your rights when it comes to picking your own shop. Do your homework and you and your family will be safer for it.
As a final note concerning insurance companies, read some startling information about how you are being tracked by them at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/06/earlyshow/contributors/raymartin/main1779882.shtml.
Auto Glass Replacement: Why It Is Very, Very, VERY Important